Comparing car insurance companies in Salt Lake City, UT can be challenging because you have many choices and choosing the right Salt Lake City car insurance agent is not as easy as just picking up the phone. You require a friendly agent, but also need competitive car insurance rates.
There is such a variety of insurance agents to purchase coverage from, and though it is a good thing to have a selection, lots of choices makes it harder to compare company pricing.
Salt Lake City agents for car insurance
Insurance agents can answer important questions and help in the event of a claim. One of the great benefits of getting online price quotes is you may find the lowest rates and still choose a local agent.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this form (opens in new window), the coverage information is submitted to agents in your area who will battle for your business. You won’t need to drive around because quoted prices will be sent directly to your email. It doesn’t get any easier!
Deciding on an insurance agency should depend on more than just a low price. Agents should be asked these questions:
- How are claims handled?
- Do they specialize in personal lines coverage?
- Who are their largest clients?
- Do they review policy coverages at every renewal?
- What are the financial ratings for the companies they represent?
- Are claims handled at the agent’s location?
- Did they already check your driving record and credit reports?
- Is vehicle mileage a factor when determining depreciation for repairs?
Two types of Salt Lake City insurance agents
If you’re trying to find a reliable agent, there are two different types of agents that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Insurance agencies in Salt Lake City are classified as either independent or captive. Both types can insure your vehicles, but it’s good to learn the difference between them since it may influence the type of agent you choose
Captive Insurance Agents
Captive insurance agents can only write with one company and some examples include Allstate, AAA, Liberty Mutual and State Farm. Captives cannot give you multiple price quotes so they have to upsell other benefits. They are usually quite knowledgeable on their company’s products which helps them compete with independent agents. Consumers frequently choose to use a captive agent partially due to the brand legacy and solid financial strength.
The following are captive insurance agents in Salt Lake City who can help you get comparison quotes.
- American Family Insurance – 4532 Highland Dr – Salt Lake City, UT 84117 – (801) 424-9249
- Farmers Insurance Group – 4360 S Redwood Rd # 2 – Salt Lake City, UT 84123 – (801) 966-9444
- Farm Bureau Insurance – 925 Executive Park Dr # G – Salt Lake City, UT 84117 – (801) 281-2181
- Allstate Insurance – 4150 S 1785 W – Salt Lake City, UT 84119 – (801) 968-6852
- State Farm Insurance – 974 E 2100 S # E – Salt Lake City, UT 84106 – (801) 487-7888
- Liberty Mutual – 370 E South Temple – Salt Lake City, UT 84111 – (801) 532-2504
Independent insurance agents do not work for one specific company but rather can write business with multiple insurance companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. To move your coverage to a new company, your agent can switch companies and you don’t have to find a new agent. When shopping rates, we recommend you get quotes from several independent insurance agents to ensure the widest selection of prices. They also have the ability to place coverage with different regional companies who may have lower rates.
Shown below is a list of independent insurance agencies in Salt Lake City that can give you comparison quotes.
- Poulton Insurance Svc Inc – 2137 E 3300 S – Salt Lake City, UT 84109 – (801) 484-4477
- Kent E Christensen Agency Inc – 150 E 900 S – Salt Lake City, UT 84111 – (801) 364-7800
- Utah Agency LLC – 261 E Broadway # 150 – Salt Lake City, UT 84111 – (801) 363-8200
- Shawn S Morin Insurance – 6790 S 1300 E – Salt Lake City, UT 84121 – (801) 566-4400
- Tom Tuft Agency – 7610 Silver Fork Dr – Salt Lake City, UT 84121 – (801) 942-1944
For a full directory of Salt Lake City insurance agents, please go to this site.
After getting reasonable responses to these questions and a low price estimate, you may have just found an insurance agent that meets your needs to provide car insurance coverage.
Include online companies when price shopping
Auto insurance agents are a valuable resource, but you also have the option of buying Utah car insurance directly from online companies. Some car insurance companies who have local agents in Salt Lake City also give you the option to buy a policy online, so keep that in mind if you don’t want to take the time to contact agents.
If you’re uneasy about not having professional advice when buying online, this really isn’t an issue. Online companies that allow you to purchase coverage provide options to answer your questions.
Can buying online lower your premiums? Many people think so, but it’s hard to say for sure since there are so many factors that impact your final bill. It’s a common assumption that buying direct saves the commission normally paid to an agent. But in most cases, it’s expensive to advertise so rates may not be all that different from traditional agents.
For more Utah car insurance information
More tips and info about car insurance can be found at the Utah Insurance Department website. Utah drivers can get help finding coverage, read state legal mandates and laws, and find out industry alerts.
Affordable insurance is out there
Affordable car insurance can be bought on the web and also from your neighborhood Salt Lake City agents, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best selection. A few companies may not provide online price quotes and these smaller companies work with independent agents.
As you prepare to switch companies, don’t be tempted to buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There are many occasions where drivers have reduced liability coverage limits only to discover later that it was a big error on their part. Your aim should be to get the best coverage possible at an affordable rate while still protecting your assets.