If you’re trying to find a good Memphis agent, we recommend you start your research by getting online comparison quotes to save time. Chances are you’re wanting a good agent, but you also want the lowest possible price.
With companies like Allstate, Farmers, State Farm and many independent agents all competing for your business, it’s difficult to determine which will provide you with the lowest rates and best service. Fortunately, it’s easy to use insurance quotes online to build a list of agents to choose from.
How to know if you need help
When it comes to buying proper insurance coverage, there isn’t really a single plan that fits everyone. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s.
Here are some questions about coverages that may help highlight if you might need an agent’s assistance.
- Do I have coverage for damage caused while driving under the influence?
- Do I need PIP (personal injury protection) coverage in Tennessee?
- Am I covered when using my vehicle for business?
- What is high-risk coverage and where do I buy it?
- At what point should I drop full coverage?
- When would I need additional glass coverage?
- Exactly who is provided coverage by my policy?
- Will I be non-renewed for getting a DUI or other conviction?
- Do I have any recourse if my insurance company denies a claim?
If you can’t answer these questions but one or more may apply to you, you might consider talking to an insurance agent.
Best way to find Memphis agents
Licensed agents can point out coverage gaps and give you someone to call. The best thing about getting online price quotes is you can get the best rates and still choose a local agent. And providing support for local insurance agencies is important particularly in Memphis.
After completing this quick form, your insurance data is transmitted to participating agents in Memphis who will give you bids for your business. You never need to leave your house because quoted prices will be sent straight to your inbox. How’s that for easy!
The difference between Memphis insurance agents
When searching for local Memphis agents, there are a couple of different agency structures that you can select. Agents are categorized either captive or independent. Both types can properly insure your vehicles, but it’s important to know the differences because it can impact your agent selection.
Independent Insurance Agents
These agents are not employed by any specific company so they have the ability to put coverage with any number of different companies depending on which coverage is best. If your agent finds better pricing, the agent simply finds a different carrier and you won’t have to switch agencies. When comparison shopping, it’s recommended you include at a minimum one independent agency for the best price selection.Many can place coverage with different regional companies which can save you money.
Listed below are independent agents in Memphis that can give you comparison quotes.
- Ebco General Agency – 1420 Union Ave – Memphis, TN 38104 – (901) 725-0966
- Direct General Ins Agency – 1026 E Brooks Rd – Memphis, TN 38116 – (901) 396-8855
- Barzizza Agency – 2216 Dunn Ave – Memphis, TN 38114 – (901) 743-6074
- Gordon Franklin Insurance – 4466 Elvis Presley Blvd # 203 – Memphis, TN 38116 – (901) 398-7200
- Nationwide Insurance – 3940 Jackson Ave – Memphis, TN 38128 – (901) 380-5828
Captive Insurance Agents
Captive agents work for only one company such as American Family, Liberty Mutual and AAA. Captives cannot provide prices from multiple companies so they have no alternatives for high prices. Captive agencies receive extensive training on their company’s products which can be an advantage. Consumers often buy from captive agents mainly due to high brand loyalty and strong financial ratings.
Shown below are Memphis captive insurance agents that can give you price quotes.
- State Farm Insurance – 6363 Poplar Ave # 427 – Memphis, TN 38119 – (901) 763-3355
- Farmers Insurance Group – 3430 Winchester Rd – Memphis, TN 38118 – (901) 368-9000
- Allstate Insurance Co – 5501 Winchester Rd # 6 – Memphis, TN 38115 – (901) 794-3771
- Liberty Mutual Group Personal – 2758 Bartlett Blvd – Memphis, TN 38134 – (901) 385-1081
- Shelter Insurance – 4087 Summer Ave # 208 – Memphis, TN 38122 – (901) 323-6000
To view a full list of captive insurance agencies in Memphis, please view this page.
Picking an insurance agent shouldn’t rely on just a low price. Here are some questions to ask:
- If you have an accident, will your rates go up?
- Do the coverages you’re quoting properly cover your vehicle?
- How much will you save each year by using a higher deductible?
- Do the companies they represent have a solid financial rating?
- Is the agent and/or agency licensed to do business in Tennessee?
Once you have received positive feedback to any questions you have and an acceptable price quote, you may have just found an insurance agent that is a good match to properly service your car insurance policy.
What about online companies that don’t sell through insurance agents?
Car insurance agents can be invaluable at times, but Tennessee consumers also have the option to buy direct from companies online. Some specific companies, such as Farmers Insurance and State Farm, who sell through agents in Memphis also permit you to buy direct on their websites, so keep that in mind if finding the best price is important.
If you’re uncomfortable with not having someone to ask questions, that is quite common when buying online the first time. Car insurance companies that require consumers to choose their own coverages provide access to licensed agents for getting questions answered.
Does buying online save money? It’s difficult to say for sure because there are so many things that influence how your policy is priced. It’s logical to say that purchasing direct online saves by not paying a commission. In reality, advertising and marketing take a lot of money and that can quickly cost more than paying an agent.
Additional car insurance information is located on the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance website located here. Consumers can view agent and company licensing information, find disaster information, and read enforcement actions against agents and companies.
Buy online or local, you save
Insureds switch companies for a number of reasons such as lack of trust in their agent, delays in paying claims, policy cancellation or not issuing a premium refund. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, finding the right car insurance provider is pretty simple and you could end up saving a buck or two.
Cheaper car insurance can be found from both online companies and with local Memphis insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best selection. There are still a few companies who do not offer online price quotes and these small insurance companies work with independent agents.