When pricing car insurance in Indianapolis, Indiana, you have many choices and selecting the best Indianapolis insurance agent for your needs is more difficult than just using the same car insurance agent as your neighbor. It’s likely you want a highly trained agent, but you also need the lowest possible price.
With American Family, Allstate, State Farm and independent agents having offices in Indianapolis, consumers have a hard time knowing which provider will provide you with the best service and rates. To begin, consumers can use insurance quotes online to build a list of agencies and thier coverage prices.
Car insurance is unique, just like you
When choosing adequate coverage, there really is not a cookie cutter policy. Everyone’s situation is a little different.
Here are some questions about coverages that can help discover if your insurance needs would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Are my tools covered if they get stolen from my vehicle?
- Is there coverage for injuries to my pets?
- Is pleasure use cheaper than using my vehicle to commute?
- Do I need PIP coverage since I have good health insurance?
- Why does it cost so much to insure a teen driver in Indianapolis?
- What can I do if my company denied a claim?
- Do I need motorclub coverage?
If you can’t answer these questions, you may need to chat with an insurance agent.
Compare online but buy from a local Indianapolis agent
Educated insurance agents can answer important questions and give you someone to call. The biggest benefit of comparing insurance prices online is you may find the lowest rates but also keep your business local. And providing support for local businesses is important especially in Indianapolis.
After completing this quick form, your information is sent to agents in your area who will give you bids for your business. You won’t need to leave your computer because quoted prices will be sent to your email. It doesn’t get any easier!
Compare rates from both independent and captive insurance agencies
If you’re trying to find a good Indianapolis insurance agent, you need to know there are two types of agencies that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Agencies in Indianapolis are categorized either independent (non-captive) or captive. Both properly insure your vehicles, but it’s good to learn how they are different since it can impact your selection of an agent.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent insurance agents are not locked into one company so they can insure your vehicles with any number of different companies depending on which coverage is best. To transfer your coverage to a different company, the agent simply finds a different carrier without you having to go to a different agency.
When searching for an agent, it’s recommended you contact multiple independent agents for maximum quote selection. They often place coverage with lesser-known insurance companies which can be an advantage.
Listed below is a list of independent agencies in Indianapolis that may be able to provide comparison quotes.
- Hall Insurance Inc – 7610 Madison Ave – Indianapolis, IN 46227 – (317) 888-1040
- Mc Kown Agency – 1010 E 86th St # 46a – Indianapolis, IN 46240 – (317) 846-6488
- T L Kimbrough Agency – 6100 N Keystone Ave – Indianapolis, IN 46220 – (317) 546-2936
- Affordable Insurance – 4515 W 16th St – Indianapolis, IN 46222 – (317) 484-9195
- Gary Schonfeld Agency Inc – 5319 S Emerson Ave # B – Indianapolis, IN 46237 – (317) 786-1800
These agents write business for a single company and examples are State Farm, AAA and Liberty Mutual. They are unable to shop your coverage around so they have to upsell other benefits. Captive agents receive extensive training on their company’s products which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums. Some consumers prefer to purchase coverage from captives primarily because of the brand legacy and the convenience of having all coverages with one company.
Listed below is a short list of captive agencies in Indianapolis willing to provide price quote information.
- Shelter Insurance – 7414 Windsor Lakes Dr – Indianapolis, IN 46237 – (317) 842-8144
- Farm Bureau Insurance – 4141 Office Plaza Blvd – Indianapolis, IN 46254 – (317) 291-9828
- American Family Insurance – 7210 Madison Ave # M – Indianapolis, IN 46227 – (317) 780-0778
- Allstate Insurance – 5680 Caito Dr # 190 – Indianapolis, IN 46226 – (317) 568-4157
- Liberty Mutual Property – 3350 Carly Ln – Indianapolis, IN 46235 – (317) 891-9783
- State Farm Insurance – 8155 E 21st St – Indianapolis, IN 46219 – (317) 898-3444
- Farmers Insurance Group – 9555 Delegates Row – Indianapolis, IN 46240 – (317) 581-3400
To view a complete directory of captive insurance agents in Indianapolis, simply jump to this page.
Selecting an auto insurance agent shouldn’t rely on just a cheap price. Any agent should have no problem answering these questions:
- Can glass repairs be made at your home?
- Is their price quote a firm figure or are their hidden costs?
- Will your rates increase after a single accident?
- How long has their agency been open in Indianapolis?
- Will vehicle repairs be made with aftermarket parts or OEM replacement parts?
- What is the agency’s Better Business Bureau rating?
- Are claim adjusters local or do you have to take your car somewhere else?
- Did they already check your driving record and credit reports?
Once you have satisfactory answers to all your questions and a good coverage price, it’s possible that you found an auto insurance agent that is a good match to properly service your car insurance policy.
But what about Geico, Progressive and Esurance?
Insurance agents are perfect for certain consumers, but you can also buy Indiana car insurance direct over the internet. A few companies that are more known for using agents, also give you the ability to get quotes and purchase online, so this should also be taken into consideration and can also potentially find you lower rates.
If you’re concerned about not getting proper coverage, this is normal but is quickly overcome. Car insurance companies that allow you to purchase coverage give you access to trained agents for getting the best coverage.
Can online rates save money? The answer to that question is complicated since there are so many factors that impact your final bill. It’s a common assumption that a customer who purchases direcly from an online company saves the cost of an agent commission. But that assumption is generally incorrect because the cost of constant advertising is expensive and those expenses can offset most of the savings by selling direct.
More Indiana car insurance resources
Additional car insurance information can be read on the Indiana Department of Insurance website found here. Indiana drivers can discover disciplinary actions, find a variety of consumer forms, file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, and file complaints about a company.
Also read more on NAIC.org’s Understanding your Policy and this page of Indianapolis insurance agents.
One last thing about your coverage
Affordable car insurance can be found online as well as from independent agents in Indianapolis, and you need to price shop both in order to have the best chance of saving money. There are still a few companies who don’t offer the ability to get a quote online and these small insurance companies work with independent agents.
When buying insurance coverage, make sure you don’t reduce needed coverages to save money. There are a lot of situations where an insured cut physical damage coverage and discovered at claim time they didn’t purchase enough coverage. The ultimate goal is to buy a smart amount of coverage at a price you can afford while still protecting your assets.