Comparing car insurance rates in Tampa can be a lot of work since there are a lot of options and picking a good Florida insurance agency is harder than just picking up the phone. Consumers require a decent agent, and also want to find cheap rates.
Many car insurance agents compete for your insurance dollar, and because of this it can be hard to compare insurance agents to find the absolute lowest price
Quote online but still have a local agent
Good agents can help determine the best coverages and help in the event of a claim. The best thing about getting online price quotes is you may find lower rates and still have an agent to talk to.
After filling out this form (opens in new window), the coverage information is transmitted to companies in Tampa who will battle for your coverage. You won’t need to visit any agencies as quotes are delivered to the email address you provide. It doesn’t get any easier!
Choosing a car insurance agent needs to be determined by more than just a low price. Any agent should be forthright in answering these questions:
- Is vehicle mileage a factor when determining depreciation for repairs?
- Do they specialize in personal lines coverage?
- If your car is in the repair shop, do you have coverage for a rental car?
- How often do they review policy coverages?
- Are there any discounts that you might be missing?
- Do they receive special compensation for putting your coverage with one company over another?
- Do they feel the quoted coverages are adequate?
Different types of Tampa insurance agents
When looking for a local agent, there are a couple of different types of agents to choose from. Agents are either captive or independent (non-captive). While both can insure your vehicles, but it’s good to learn the difference between them because it can impact your agent selection.
Captive agencies can only place business with one company such as American Family, State Farm and Allstate. They are unable to provide prices from multiple companies so always compare other rates. Captive agents are very knowledgeable on their products and sales techniques which can be an advantage. Consumers frequently choose to use a captive agent primarily because of high brand loyalty and strong financial ratings.
Listed below are Tampa captive agents who may provide you with price quote information.
- State Farm Insurance – 10002 Princess Palm Ave # 106 – Tampa, FL 33619 – (813) 622-7992
- Liberty Mutual Insurance – 3901 Premier North Dr – Tampa, FL 33618 – (813) 264-6588
- American Family Estates Inc – 8875 Hidden River Pkwy – Tampa, FL 33637 – (813) 979-2811
- Farm Bureau Insurance – 1046 W Busch Blvd # 100 – Tampa, FL 33612 – (813) 933-5440
- Allstate Insurance – 16067 Tampa Palms Blvd W – Tampa, FL 33647 – (813) 971-7377
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
These agents are not locked into one company but rather can write business with lots of companies and potentially find a lower price. To move your coverage to a new company, they simply move the coverage in-house and you won’t have to switch agencies.
When comparison shopping, it’s a good idea to contact multiple independent agents for maximum quote selection. Most have the option of insuring with smaller companies who may have lower rates.
The following is a short list of independent agents in Tampa that are able to give price quotes.
- Novacek Agency – 13924 Clubhouse Cir – Tampa, FL 33618 – (813) 969-2305
- Bob Panazze Insurance Inc – 10405 N Nebraska Ave – Tampa, FL 33612 – (813) 972-3220
- Gabor Agency Inc – 3206 Cove Bend Dr – Tampa, FL 33613 – (813) 631-8000
- Florida Physicians Insurance – – Tampa, FL 33614 – (813) 932-7030
- Brier Grieves Agency – 4303 W Kennedy Blvd – Tampa, FL 33609 – (813) 281-2600
For a full directory of Tampa insurance agents, visit this site.
After receiving good answers to any questions you have and an acceptable price quote, you have narrowed it down to a car insurance agent that will properly insure your vehicles.
You may need specialized coverage
When it comes to choosing coverage for your vehicles, there really is not a best way to insure your cars. Each situation is unique.
These are some specific questions could help you determine if your situation might need an agent’s assistance.
- Am I covered when delivering products for my home-based business?
- Is my vehicle covered for smoke damage?
- Do I have coverage when using my vehicle for my home business?
- Can my teen driver be rated on a liability-only vehicle?
- Does my policy cover me when driving someone else’s vehicle?
- Can I get a multi-policy discount for packaging my home and auto coverage?
- Are all vehicle passengers covered by medical payments coverage?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed insurance agent.
Include online companies when price shopping
Car insurance agents are important, but Florida consumers also have the option to buy direct online. Some specific companies who have local agents in Tampa also permit you to buy a policy online, and online price comparisons are easy if you want to do it yourself.
If you’re uncomfortable with not getting advice from an agent when buying online, that should not be a issue. Auto insurance companies that allow you to purchase coverage have toll-free phone numbers and other options for getting questions answered. Consumers also can use extensive coverage information and 24/7 assistance that can help answer basic questions.
If you just want to find lower premiums, the most effective way to determine if agents have better prices than online companies is making fair comparisons of each of their rates. It’s even possible to receive different pricing for the exact same company from their agents and their website.
Can buying online lower your premiums? That is a tough question to answer because there are a lot of things that impact your rate calculation. It’s often assumed that buying online saves money because there is no commission. But the fact is, marketing their products costs a lot of money so the rates may be similar to buying from an agent.
The best insurance company isn’t always the cheapest
As you prepare to switch companies, do not skimp on coverage in order to save money. There have been many situations where an insured cut collision coverage to discover at claim time that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your strategy should be to buy a smart amount of coverage at an affordable rate while still protecting your assets.
Drivers switch companies for many reasons like policy non-renewal, extreme rates for teen drivers, lack of trust in their agent or an unsatisfactory settlement offer. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, finding the right car insurance provider is pretty simple and you could end up saving a buck or two.
Consumer car insurance information in Florida
Even more information can be read at the Florida Office of Insurance Regulation website. Florida drivers can view agent and company licensing information, find out which companies have the most complaints, and file complaints about an insurance agent or broker.