If you’re looking for an insurance agent in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, you can begin your search using online quotes instead of calling around. Chances are good you’re wanting a decent agent, but you also need great rates as well.
With companies like State Farm, Allstate, Farmers and independent agents all competing for your business, it’s hard to tell which one will have the lowest rates and best service. To begin, it’s easy to use online quoting to build a list of agents and price estimates.
Buying car insurance locally
Good agents can answer important questions and give you someone to call. The best thing about comparing rates online is that you can obtain the lowest rates and still have an agent to talk to. And supporting small agencies is definitely important in Philadelphia.
For easy comparison, once you complete this form (opens in new window), your coverage information is immediately sent to agents in your area who will give you bids for your business. There is no reason to visit any agencies since price quotes are sent directly to your email. How’s that for easy! You can find better rates and an insurance agent to talk to.
Choose an insurance agent wisely
When searching for a reputable insurance agent or broker, you must know there are a couple types of insurance agents from which to choose. Insurance agencies in Philadelphia are categorized either captive or independent (non-captive).
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent insurance agents are not employed by any specific company so they can insure your vehicles amongst many companies depending on which coverage is best. If you are not satisfied with one company, the agent simply finds a different carrier and that require little work on your part.
When comparing rates, it’s recommended you include price quotes from several independent insurance agents to ensure the widest selection of prices. Most have the option of insuring with different regional companies which may provide better rates.
Below is a list of independent insurance agencies in Philadelphia that can give you competitive price quotes.
- Nationwide Insurance – 6715 Oxford Ave – Philadelphia, PA 19111 – (215) 725-1600
- American Agency Inc – – Philadelphia, PA 19135 – (215) 332-6100
- Wade and Miller Agency – 1624 E Wadsworth Ave – Philadelphia, PA 19150 – (215) 247-2900
- Heierbacher Agency – 9910 Frankford Ave # 210 – Philadelphia, PA 19114 – (215) 824-0600
- Richard W Cording Insurance – 7101 Ridge Ave – Philadelphia, PA 19128 – (610) 834-0338
Captive Insurance Agents
Captive agents work for only one company and some examples include Allstate, Farmers Insurance or State Farm. These agents are unable to give you multiple price quotes so keep that in mind. They are well schooled in insurance sales which can be an advantage. Consumers often choose to use a captive agent primarily because of the brand legacy and the convenience of having all coverages with one company.
Listed below are Philadelphia captive insurance agents who can help you get price quote information.
- Liberty Mutual Insurance – 111 S Independence Mall E – Philadelphia, PA 19106 – (215) 925-7915
- State Farm Insurance – 2805 N 47th St # 600 – Philadelphia, PA 19131 – (215) 871-3390
- Allstate Insurance – 12040 Bustleton Ave # 2 – Philadelphia, PA 19116 – (215) 464-4300
To view a full list of car insurance agents in Philadelphia, please go to this site.
Picking a car insurance agent should depend on more than just a cheap price. Some important questions to ask are:
- Will vehicle repairs be made with aftermarket parts or OEM replacement parts?
- Does the company allow you to choose your own collision repair facility?
- If you are a high risk driver, do they have special markets for your coverage?
- What insurance company do they write the most business with?
- Do they make recommendations based only on price?
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
- Will you be dealing directly with the agent or with a Custom Service Representative (CSR)?
- Is the agent and/or agency licensed to do business in Pennsylvania?
Once you have acceptable answers to any questions you have in addition to an acceptable price estimate, you have narrowed it down to an insurance agent that can properly service your car insurance policy.
What if I want to buy online?
Insurance agents are important to many people, but you also have the option of buying directly from online companies. Some companies that sell primarily through agents also allow you to quote and buy online, so that should be considered if the lowest rate is your goal.
If you’re apprehensive about whether or not you’ll have guidance when buying direct, that is normal but is not a big issue. Insurance companies provide access to licensed agents to answer any questions you may have.
Does car insurance cost less online? Many people swear by it, but it’s difficult to answer because there are so many things which can raise or lower premium rates. It’s a logical assumption that buying online saves by not paying a commission. But truthfully, marketing expenses are significant and this drives up their premium costs.
More information can be found on the Pennsylvania Insurance Department website through this link. Consumers can read consumer alerts, file complaints about a company, view a list of available companies, and find a variety of consumer forms.
The following articles may also be useful.
Better coverage you can count on
When shopping online for car insurance, never buy poor coverage just to save money. Too many times, an accident victim reduced liability limits or collision coverage and learned later that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your strategy should be to buy a smart amount of coverage for the lowest price, not the least amount of coverage.
Cost effective car insurance can be bought online and with local Philadelphia insurance agents, so you should compare both so you have a total pricing picture. There are still a few companies who do not offer you the ability to get quotes online and these small insurance companies work with independent agents.